rich in everything but money

May 15, 2011

it's the littlest things

Who doesn't enjoy a good list? Okay, probably lots of people but personally, I enjoy lists. I enjoy writing them and I especially enjoy ticking stuff off them. Molly seems to have inherited my fondness for lists. In fact I dictated the grocery list to her the other day and she was very attentive in writing it down (I couldn't read the finished list but that's beside the point).

So, here is a list of some of the littlest joys of parent-hood (I may be alone in some of these but others are probably pretty universal). No major events or achievements, just the funny little moments and things that give me a wee rush happiness.


Washing grass stains out of my kids clothes (other stains do not fill be me with joy but grass, for some reason, does)

Referring to my "son" or "daughter" - I always remember my old friend Julia telling me about going to get her son's birth certificate and being really overwhelmed (in a good way!) the moment she referred to her brand new baby boy as "my son".

Seeing my kid's name on their cubby or on piece of artwork at school. Molly had a brief stint in daycare just before I quit work for good and when we withdrew her (which was a happy thing!) I actually got really sad when they gave me her cubby photo to take home. I loved seeing her sweet face there on that little piece of her turf in the daycare. Same feeling when I put stuff in Gabriel's locker and I see the "Gabriel N" tag with his funny little drawing next to it.


When they say "thank you" and you can tell they actually mean it.

Another kid banging on the door asking if one of your kids can come out and play. The pleasure of this one is actually starting to wear off but for the most part it still gives me the warm fuzzies.

When your kid does/buys something for you with actual thought about what you would like. This is the big jump from assuming that EVERYONE wants plastic dinosaurs or my little ponies for their birthday. Now, they may not get this exactly right, especially at first, but when you can see the genuine intention behind the offering it's a wonderful feeling. When Gabriel was 3 he picked out a very charming bracelet for me with these giant light blue beads. As blue was his favorite colour I asked him if that's why he'd picked that one. I will never forget the sound of his little voice saying "no, it was the one I thought you'd like". Melt.

Siblings playing peacefully. Even if it only lasts for a minute. Which is good as it probably will only last for a minute. Tops.


Listening to my kids talk on the phone. Or answer the phone. This can also be heartwarming and helpful if you're making dinner and you've taught your kids how to deal with telemarketers.

There are a million more of these little moments and if you're lucky you'll find them throughout the day; there to give you a lift, maybe when you least expect it or better still, when you most need it. They don't knock your socks off like the major milestones, but major milestones can't be rushed and they don't happen everyday. So it's a good thing to find your joy in small stuff too. Otherwise you might find yourself encouraging that not quite ready to drop baby tooth or loosening up the training wheels a little too soon. And blood and tears are not going to be that memorable moment you're looking for now are they?

1 comment:

  1. Since I have a fondness for lists, I will add to yours... one of my treasured memories is Gabriel greeting me at your door in April 2007 with "Hello Auntine. Come In." He was the first of the niblings to call me that. <3

    ReplyDelete